Thursday, September 25, 2014

For the Beauty of the Earth

The Boss of Yellowstone
9" x 12" study in pastel

Over the past month I have experienced a lot of windshield time in my sturdy little 1989 Ford Bronco.  My travels have taken me from Omaha through the Scottsbluff National Monument, to the National Museum of Wildlife Art in the Grand Tetons, to the edge of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone in Yellowstone National Park, through western Montana, all across Washington, rush hour in Seattle, to British Columbia, around the North Cascade Range, and back down into Cody, Wyoming.  Whew...catch your breath!  Today I am here in Cody to spend the day studying at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West.  The Center contains 5 different museums and a research library.  The museum I am most eager to explore is the Whitney Western Art Museum.www.centerofthewest.org

Sketching out my idea

Putting in the first layer

While traveling and beholding so much of our beautiful America, I have enjoyed listening to my CD of "The John Rutter Collection" sung by the Cambridge Singers.  One of my favorite songs on this album is "For the Beauty of the Earth"  /www.youtube.com/watch?  v=qpEbQGsPqHE .   It is a joyous celebration of all the many reasons we have to be thankful.  Listening to this song helped me to express how my heart felt to be seeing all the grandeur both small and great.  This world is full of foreboding news and uncertainties. These are realities, but how refreshing to also be reminded of the God of all creation who is Sovereign over it all....He is the maker of all these many mountain peaks that I've seen.  David said in  Psalm 95:4 that the mountain peaks belong to God.  Take that into your day!

Northern Cascade Range

Be brave and courageous!

No comments:

Post a Comment