Thursday, October 9, 2014

Traveling Mercies


Whenever one heads out to travel a distance, there are always possible troubles to expect. One could encounter vehicle failure, an accident, sickness (I experienced food poisoning on my last trip), or theft.  So when a safe and successful trip occurs, we have much for which to be thankful.   How easy it is to take it all for granted, even in having the freedom to travel as one chooses!  Recently I completed a 3500 mile journey and never once experienced a mishap, although there were some close ones... like when I almost drove over the edge around a steep curve into a canyon at Yellowstone National Park.  My front tire was already off the pavement.  It took me a number of minutes to recover from the scare of that frightening experience.  I was in awe of the great mercy and protection shown me at that time!  I thought I was for sure a goner!

(The falls at Yellowstone National Park)

My next opportunity for traveling is just around the corner.  Next week I will be participating in the Northwest Arkansas Bella Vista Arts and Crafts Festival  from October 16 - 18th.  If you happen to be in the area please stop by and see me!  This is a first rate show and I'm eager to have my artwork in it.


My little art manikin Michelangelo is rounding up his wild buddies in busy preparation for the trip.  A lot goes into having a booth in these shows!  I'm grateful for his "help" although he's got his hands full trying to keep the wildlife on peaceful terms with one another!


In the book of Psalms there is a chapter that was written for travelers going up to Jerusalem.  The words are reassuring for any traveler today.  The writer declares in Psalm 121 where the source of his help comes from...it is from the Lord who made heaven and earth!  Not only is this God big enough to make the universe, but He is also declared to be powerful enough to watch over, care for, and protect the traveler.  And for all on the journey through this life, God is ENOUGH!   That's powerfully reassuring to take out the door with you into your day.


This is a sneak preview of a sketch I did for a possible painting down the road after I get back from Arkansas.  Hold on tight as it doesn't look like an easy ride!

"May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord make His face shine on you, 
and be gracious to you:
May the Lord show you His favor 
and give you His peace."

---Numbers 6:24-26


Be brave and courageous!




No comments:

Post a Comment