Thursday, March 12, 2015

Hope, Lemons, and Plan B

Hope Springs Eternal
Watercolor study

Many of you are experiencing the first beautiful days of spring-like weather.  After some of the severely cold winter temps we've had, our appreciation meters are spiking as we emerge outdoors.

You've heard that quote, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!"  I personally have encountered the lemons in my life this past week.  My blog from last week announced to you that I was going to be participating in the Kamloops Cowboy Festival here in British Columbia.  This is Canada's largest cowboy/ranchlife gathering of well-known cowboy poets, western music concerts, workshops, and a tradeshow that includes saddlemakers, spur makers, cowboy magazine people, and western artists like myself.  Prior to coming, I had talked with both provincial government officials and Canadian government officials about how to pay my taxes while at the show.  They gave me advice and procedures to follow.  But when I got to Canada Customs at the border, they would not permit me to take any of my original art across the border.  So, instead of giving up in despair, I breathed a quick prayer and pursued whatever avenue I could with the officials.  Thankfully, they have permitted me to select a number of my prints to display, but not sale, at the festival.  So I will focus on making connections with people and guiding them to my online site where they can purchase my art via Paypal.  


So here's Plan B.  I purchased 2 tri-fold displays here and worked on lettering some signs this week.  Even though I cannot have large original work on display, I am trying to create an interesting, enjoyable booth at the tradeshow with the little prints I do have.   


The festival begins tomorrow and runs through Sunday.  I am very thankful that I can still be a part of it, even though it is Plan B.  I look forward to meeting many people at this great event and making some good connections.  

Proverbs 16:7 says, "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps."  We can live every moment in great peace knowing that God is in charge and nothing takes Him by surprise.  And I am so thankful that I can do what verse 3 says, "Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed."  My job is to bring honor to God with my work. I can leave the results to Him.  I hope this encourages you with whatever problems you may be encountering in your life.  Sometimes the challenges that show up in our lives are not meant to stop us, but to provide the very traction we need to move forward.

Be brave and courageous!

No comments:

Post a Comment