Thursday, May 7, 2015

Mothers and Flamenco

African Violets
Watercolor

This weekend focuses on honoring the mothers in our lives.  As I think back over the influence my mother had in my life, one particular area I really appreciate is a door she opened in my life.  That door was the introduction of classical music to me.  As a young college student, my mom had savored performances at Carnegie Hall in New York City, as well as playing flute in her college orchestra.  By the time I came into the picture, she was far removed from the culture of New York City and we were living in the Badlands of South Dakota.  But she brought with her some record albums that became my gateway to the classical music world.  I remember listening to Handel's "Water Music" and the "Royal Fireworks" while looking out the living room window to the "other-worldly" landscape of buttes, pinnacles, and spires of the Badlands.


Ranch and Indian country was a long way from the concert halls of New York, but my heart was enraptured with the sound of violin, harpsichord, trumpet, and cello for the rest of my life.

Because of that doorway my mom opened for me as a young 4 year old, I have enjoyed many live performances from the likes of the Colorado Symphony, the Omaha Symphony, the Vancouver Symphony, the Bellingham Symphony, violinist Joshua Bell, pianist Van Cliburn, the Liepzig String Quartet, the Harlem String Quartet, and many others.  

So once again this week I was in the audience with my sketchbook, immensely enjoying a concert by American Flamenco guitarist Ronald Radford.  He was world class and gave a very engaging performance at the University of Nebraska-Omaha.  He kindly autographed my sketch of him.  
The flamenco guitar style derives from Spain and is energetic in a wide variety of ways. Here's an example of Ronald Radford's playing:


Wrapping this up, if you are a mom or any one who has influence over children, never underestimate the power of influence as you are being watched and followed by little eyes through the days and weeks.  I am deeply grateful for the door my mom opened to me in the enjoyment of music as a child.  My life has been so enriched by it!

Be brave and courageous!

No comments:

Post a Comment