Thursday, June 11, 2015

A Week of Wood and Horses

Victory Riding Academy
Founders:  Tony and JoDee Barnes

My life has been so enriched by the people that God brings across my path.  This week I am going to give a "shout-out" to three of them.  First, let me introduce you to Tony and JoDee Barnes who founded the Victory Riding Academy for the purpose of offering complimentary horse experiences to military, police, fire, first responders, and their families.

Both Tony and JoDee have served our country in the military, and bring an awareness of servicemen and women's needs to their work.  
Last week week I met with Tony and JoDee to discuss my bringing a class of young art students out to their stables for horse drawing lessons. Then I was able to spend most of Sunday with them watching as they did their horse work at a benefit fundraiser in their honor. 

Victory Riding Academy is registered as a Horses4Heroes riding facility.  They also are a registered Equine Assisted Therapy Center providing a variety of services to those with special needs.  VRA has many outreaches including the Scouts, and provides riding classes.They work with the University of Nebraska Biomechanics division in research of horse movement and the human gait.
Victory Riding Academy seeks to use the special relationship of horses with humans to help people persevere, overcome, and conquer any of life's challenges.  Currently they have a fundraising goal of $150,000 to help with property acquisition, program development, and ongoing expenses.  Their informative website can be found at  www.victoryride.org .  Theirs is a very worthwhile endeavor!! 
 

Next, my other "shout-out" goes to Lonnie Theer of Theer Creative here in Papillion, NE.  Lonnie is a very gifted artisan with wood.  

Here are some samples of his fine quality work:
Lonnie is always willing to give advice to me regarding my own woodworking/framing questions.  This morning he graciously gave me an hour and a half of his time to help me in cutting frames and providing all kinds of woodworking tips.  Lonnie also sells many varieties of wine sauces and barbecue sauces at his shop in the Bell Place Shops here in Papillion, NE.  You can follow him on Facebook at Theer Creative to see all the variety of very creative works he does in wood.

Here's a frame I built this week for my 9" x 12" pastel of the Columbia River:  

Be brave and courageous!





No comments:

Post a Comment