Thursday, July 2, 2015

Getting Into Gear

The Fourth of July weekend brings back vivid memories of wheat harvest in Colorado. Even though I drew this sketch from corn harvest time, it was the same truck that I shifted gears in thousands of times over the years for both harvests.  Soon harvest will be starting again once the wheat dries enough.  To commemorate the hard work of farmers and their families, I thought I would post a series of sketches out of my sketchbooks from across the years I helped drive a grain truck during harvests.  Waiting between times for the combine to dump into the grain tractor which in turn dumped into my grain truck provided me with great time to sketch, read, and observe the great outdoors.









Anytime we attempt to move forward and take good action in our lives involves getting into gear.  Otherwise you are idling and not going anywhere fast.  Talk is cheap but steady, intentional progress in the areas of our goals is powerful action towards success in outcome. The famous Aesop's fable about the tortoise and the hare reminds us vividly that "slow and steady wins the race".  May this week find us all "getting into gear", taking that first action, then the next, and then momentum kicks in!

Happy Fourth of July to you all!  I'm off to climb 12,000 ft. Medicine Bow Peak in Wyoming's Snowy Range that day with my brother Robert and niece Noelle, plus my sons Elijah and Joe!

Be bold and courageous!




No comments:

Post a Comment