Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Path Less Traveled

Snowy Range Country
8" x 10"
Oil

Last month I had the wonderful opportunity of hiking up Medicine Bow Peak in the Snowy Range mountains of southern Wyoming. Besides the breathtaking view, I was with some of the greatest of hiking companions...my two sons Elijah and Joe, plus my brother Robert and niece Noelle.  It's a fabulous way to make memories together!  Towards the top of the summit we encountered a number of slippery snow fields to navigate precariously.  And the weather went stormy- looking for a while with lightning to hustle us along. 

Mountain paths are never a straight shot to the summit.  They are often a long, circuitous route.  Sometimes it seems you are going backwards to go forward.  Mountain hiking resembles so much of life for us as we encounter twists and turns, ups and downs, and changes of direction.  What helps is to keep the end in view...the goal of the summit.  It is so worthwhile in the end!  
Elijah and Joe almost to the summit of Medicine Bow Peak.

Due to some changes in direction on my own life path, I may not be able to post a blog for a week or two.  When I land in a good spot, we'll catch up on where things are at.  Here's a well-known poem by Robert Frost about two roads in life...I'll just give the first and last stanzas here:                    
The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I ----
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Elijah feeding his Australian sheepdog Lucy who made the hike quite special.


Be brave and courageous!

6 comments:

  1. Nice blog having nice information. Sometimes we ignore this sort of things & also suffer a lot as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Krisanth! I apologize for such a delinquent response to your kind comment. I have been moving across the country and am just now beginning to settled.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Great! I’m impressed! I thought the Art nowadays is restricted to doodling and abstractions. Your pictures are so alive!

    http://www.privatewriting.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments, Helen! Yes, you are observant...there is a big fad for the Zen doodle/tangles but I do enjoy representing life in my artwork as I experience and see it. Sorry to be slow to respond to you. I have moved across the country and have been working hard to get settled and recovered from that. Thank you for your patience!

      Delete
  3. Oh what a cool post such a wonderful spot. thanks for share with us.Yahoo forgot password help

    ReplyDelete