Thursday, January 7, 2016

Walk Slowly and Bow Often

(Pen & ink/colored pencil study)

Where would we be in our world without the beauty and work of trees?  Practically they help tremendously in providing us with oxygen for clean air, food for wildlife and humans alike, shade, soil rentention, fuel, lumber and so much more.  Aesthetically trees are majestic, stately, and sculptural, bringing beauty to our lives.  The colors of autumn inspire many an artists' palette.  I love looking at all kinds of trees with their distinguishing characteristics of bark, branching patterns, and leaf shapes.  It increases my awe of the great Creator!
(Study in oil)
Pulitzer prize-winning poet Mary Oliver expressed it well in a poem from her book, Thirst:

When I Am Among the Trees

When I am among the trees, 
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness.
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.

I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have a goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.

Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile."
The light flows from their branches.

And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."

---Mary Oliver.

Trees not only inspire artists and poets, but composers as well.  John Sebelious wrote his composition "The Spruce" for a tableau of artwork in the 1800's.  Enjoy this rendition by a young 9 year old boy and imagine you are walking among some fragrant and grand Colorado Spruce:

                                      
This week I encourage you to walk slowly and bow often, taking time to notice the trees and beauty of the world around you.

Live bravely and beautifully!

No comments:

Post a Comment