Thursday, March 31, 2016

Three Dog Night

Three Dog Night
11" x 17"
Graphite/charcoal

Besides an early 1970"s rock band having this as their name, the phrase "a three dog night" has been around for quite a while.  It's use meant that it was so cold that you would need to have three dogs in bed with you to keep you warm.  That's cold!!  That's close to what I felt sleeping on the ground 1,000 ft. below 14, 500 ft. Mt. Whitney in California when I climbed to the summit in 1980.  

This phrase reminds one that many things in life are accomplished by teamwork.  When I look back over my life I see that many people have been very influential in my life.  Some have been there at point's in my life when what I did could not have been done without their help.  Our culture focuses so much on "what's in it for me".   I suggest that the greatest satisfaction comes when we work together as a team on endeavors.  I appreciate a quote by Mother Theresa:  
I can do things you cannot,
You can do things I cannot;
Together we can do great things.
Those of you who are followers of Christ know that all His followers are part of a bigger endeavor...the building of His church in this world.  We are all individually gifted but as we bring those gifts together much more is accomplished for good than remaining isolated. What an honor to be fitted together in teamwork to reflect Christ to a world that needs Him.

Here is a lovely piece of music composed by Antonin Dvorak, the Humoresque, portraying how important teamwork is in producing a beautiful sound:

Live bravely and beautifully!

No comments:

Post a Comment