Thursday, June 30, 2016

The Story Behind These Glasses

Sophia
9' x 12"
Watercolor sketch

You never know when a fun little adventure awaits you just around the corner.  Sunday was a gorgeous day just begging me to head out on Fishtrap Creek Trail for a brisk walk.  This is a lovely trail that goes right through town and ambles all along Fishtrap Creek through various neighborhoods here in Lynden.  I rounded a bend in the path by one beautiful thatch-roofed Dutch home and saw a little girl standing in the backyard by the path with these hilarious sunglasses on.  A low, manicured hedge created a border between her and the trail.  As I walked nearer down the path, she hollered out to me, "Free cards!  Free cards!  Come get a free card!"  

There was no way she was going to let me get away without a card!  So I stopped to see what she was giving away for free.  I didn't have any money on me, so felt badly that I couldn't reward her generosity.  Sophia was a little second grader who had about 8 cards in envelopes displayed on top of the hedge.  I asked her which one I should pick and she cheerily recommended one with a butterfly design on the envelope. I opened it up and she had drawn a cheery little face with a comment:
Sophia informed me that she loved to draw all sorts of things, so I couldn't help but say that I loved to draw, too!  She was very engaging and upbeat to chat with, and as I walked on down the trail with her card in my hand and a smile on my face, I got to thinking about her child-likeness and how she demonstrated that by trying to make the world a better place with her cards...for free!  

Childlike vs. Childish

*A child-likeness has nothing to offer except themselves, pure and simple.  They have no pretenses.

*A child-likeness responds to love openly.

*A child-likeness thinks big.  Imaginations soar and possibilities are endless.  

*A child-likeness is receptive.  Children exhibit an openness and alertness to life.  I love how Sara Teasdale described children in her poem "Barter":

Life has loveliness to sell, 
All beautiful and splendid things, 
Blue waves whitened on a cliff,
Soaring fire that sways and sings,
And children's faces looking up
Holding wonder like a cup.

*****************************************

*Childishness is all about me....mine....my way.  It is self-centered.

*Childishness thinks small.  It is petty and cannot see the big picture. It lacks imagination.

*Childishness is closed to wonder and lacks a sensitivity to the world around them.
(Small watercolor sketch)

Child-likeness is a quality that is worth maintaining.  It is a state of continual growth, openness and enjoyment of the wonder in life.  It loves freely and thinks outside the box.

Childishness is unpleasant and immature in nature.  Who wants to be around that?!

Jesus Christ elevated the status of child-likeness when He took a little child and said, "Let the children come to me.  Don't stop them!  For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs  to those who are like these children."  

Sophia helped me to remember how great and freeing it feels to be child-like, to be authentic and quite imaginative and full of wonder for life!  Sunglasses and all!!!

Live bravely and beautifully!

No comments:

Post a Comment