Thursday, July 10, 2014

Studio Work

 My little art manikin Michaelangelo has been having to run to keep up with me in the studio.  You are looking at a stack of 8" x 10" prints that I've trimmed and packaged ready for selling.  That's about 100 right there.  I still am working on the 100 11" x 14" prints.  The 8" x 10" prints are priced at $13.00 and the 11" x 14" prints are priced at $20.00.  Besides drawing/ painting, all kinds of attending work goes along with making a life in art.  I've also been tweaking an outdoor painting easel (plein air in French artspeak)  to fit my needs.  Here's a look at that project:  


I enjoy working with wood as I've watched my dad make many things for us in the shop.  I've saved myself around $200 by making this easel.  The base was from a broken telescope that a neighbor gave to me.  I stripped the hardware and designed a base to fit my paint box.  The paint box was given to me from my sister Robyn whose kids didn't use any more.  It had been an art kit for kids.  I converted it into an outdoor painting easel.  

I drove by a wheat field this week that had just been harvested.  It reminded me of all the summers in Colorado that I drove a grain truck helping farmer friends with the wheat harvest. I always kept a sketchbook handy to record the harvest sights.  Here are a few pages from those old sketchbooks:






This last one is a self-portrait.  When you've been driving all day and have drawn about everything there is to see in wheat harvest on the high plains, you get a little desperate for subject matter.  :)  I used the rear view mirror of my grain truck to draw this.

Be strong and courageous!







No comments:

Post a Comment