Thursday, January 8, 2015

I Flunked Art Today

Mt. Moran/Grand Tetons
(Small watercolor study)

"Some days are diamonds, some days are stone/Sometimes the hard times won't leave me alone/Some times the cold winds blow a chill in my bones/Some days are diamonds, some days are stone."  So go the words to a John Denver song.  Well. the weather outside is frightful, as another song puts it.  It is cold, bone-chilling cold, and I see from the weather map that many of you are experiencing winter's blast.

And besides the weather issues outside, I've had issues today in my studio, as well.  I did a watercolor study this morning and it just kept going from bad to worse.  I haven't thrown it in the garbage yet, as I'm saving it to see how improvement will look hopefully.  It is so easy to get discouraged in learning to draw/paint but the only anecdote for that is to get back up in the saddle again and keep riding.  It's an encouraging reminder to look at a little cartoon I keep tacked up here in my studio that my son Jacob drew for me:

This cartoon is based on the famous Aesop's fable of the tortoise and the hare.  The moral to the story is seen in the banner "Slow and steady wins the race!"  I love the humor that Jacob adds to the scene with the hare being towed in by hanging onto the tortoise's tail.  We all have growth areas in our lives where it is hard to be patient.  We wanted to be proficient yesterday.  The winding, circuitous road to get from where we are currently to where our goals land us is how the journey just is.  There are no short cuts to somewhere worth going!

(One watercolor study that turned out okay)

Be brave and courageous!

No comments:

Post a Comment