Thursday, February 19, 2015

Sonata for Bugles and Horns

Sonata for Bugles and Horns
20" x 26"
Oil
$520.00

Have you ever had the privilege to hear an elk bugle?  I'll never forget one of the times I heard elk bugling.  It was in early October.  I was attending an outdoor watercolor workshop taught by Mark Silvers in Moran Park in the Rocky Mountains.  All throughout the day we could hear their call as they sought to find a mate during rut season.  It was wild and marvelous to experience!  Just so you don't feel left out, here is a sample of their bugling from Youtube:


As you can see from the above painting, I think I am finished with the elk painting I have been working on the last couple weeks.  Every time I stood in front of my easel, I felt like I was there enjoying the high country and listening to the elk bugling.  From off in the woods I do believe I could even hear a response!  You never know what happens in my studio!

I've enjoyed having my little bull elk Edward here in my studio for modeling.  He's a part of my little studio wildlife sanctuary along with the bears, beavers, moose, and Bighorn sheep.  He's grateful that I'm finished so he can go and take a load off his feet finally, maybe even practice a few bugles for next fall's rut season.


Time to clean up my palette now that my painting is finished.  It's a mess, right?  As always, I'm attracted to metaphors for life.  My palette doesn't make much sense to you.  It's a lot like our lives...things don't always make sense and life can get messy, even ugly looking at times.  But when you trust that God is in control of your life, He says that He can take all the messy and the ugly parts, and make it work out for the good.  I don't know how that happens, as some things can be drastically messy, but God is trustworthy and faithful.  He never gives up on us.  He is perfecting his work in us, creating a masterpiece of art that someday will astonish ourselves and the world...for HIs honor and glory!

Be brave and courageous!

No comments:

Post a Comment