Thursday, January 12, 2017

Not What I Intended

Small watercolor study

So often when we set out to do something, along comes a sidetrack or detour, and we find ourselves off in an entirely different direction. Sometimes that can be a good thing, like this crow.  I was up in the Cascade Range nearby to hike, sketch and photo-shoot around the Mt. Baker area.  Stunning, beautiful scenery beckoned from every direction.  My mind was filling with various ideas for some landscape paintings to do back in my studio.  

Mt. Baker from near Artist's Point

But this "pesky" crow kept hopping around where I was sketching, hoping for something in the food department.  I tried to ignore it for awhile as I was there to focus on mountains, not crows.  The crow remained persistent and I couldn't help but start observing its antics. So I took several photos of it and that's what first turned up as art in my studio from that trip.  

That isn't the first time that has happened to my art creation plans.  Another instance was when a young friend invited me to come out to their ranch as she was having a couple of her Paint horses loaded up to take to a camp.  She thought I could get some good photos of them during that process.  But while I tried to focus on the horses, one of her cats named Radar kept jumping up on the corral posts, staring at me with this inquiring look.  That later became a 19" x 24' graphite drawing titled Cat Scan.  

Life gives us many opportunities for changes in direction.  At times these are challenging and very difficult, but other times these re-routes open new doors of possibility.  The key to making it work well is to be flexible and in the "ready position" so that you are poised to take advantage of the situation and make it work for good.  Here are three quotes that express what you can do with unintended changes in direction:

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.
---John Wooden

The world is full of possibilities and potential, but we're the ones who choose to be open or closed to them.
---Mike Mariner

Determine to make the most out of every situation.
---Kathy Ireland


Live bravely and beautifully!

No comments:

Post a Comment