Thursday, March 23, 2017

Footgear for the Climb

(Small gouache study of Bighorn Sheep)


One of my favorite animals to include in my artwork is the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep.  I am in awe of their ability to climb impossible-looking rocky slopes.  Their impressive horns give them a regal look.  These wild sheep can take daring leaps across open ledges that take one's breath away.  


Let's zoom in and take a closer look at the Bighorns' hooves.  Here we see amazing design at work.  The outer edge of the hoof is hard with sharp edges, while the bottoms are hollow in the center which is made of
a rubbery substance.  This enables them to grip hard edges with ease and ascend near vertical slopes.  These Bighorns are undaunted by an arduous climb!


We all face challenges in our lives that can resemble steep slopes with terrifying drop-offs. Having the proper "foot gear" can make all the difference in whether we surmount our difficulties and move forward with our lives.  The flip-flops or sandals of playing safe and comfortable are definitely not for consideration in the climb....we need something that is rugged and grips well.  King David offers a solid source of stability for the high places in our lives:

"God arms me with strength,
and He makes my way perfect.

He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
enabling me to stand on mountain heights."

---Psalm 18:32,33

(8' x 8' chalk drawing I did at the Denver Chalk Art Festival - 2010)


Live bravely and beautifully!

No comments:

Post a Comment