Thursday, June 15, 2017

A Father's Love

(Small watercolor study of Medicine Bow Peak, WY)

This coming weekend our thoughts rove to our fathers and their significant role in our lives.  For many, it conjures up fond memories and loving moments. For others, it brings pain and grief for a variety of reasons.  We live in a fallen world where every relationship is affected and no one is perfect.  

A father plays an enormous part in the formation of a child's character and personality.  Certain aspects of training in our lives only a dad can fulfill adequately.  When those are absent, we feel a void and attempt to compensate for them in other ways.  
(Dad with Mom and my youngest sister)
One trait that fathers contribute enormously to their children's development is confidence. When a father speaks an encouraging word, it's like having the sun and moon stand still for a moment.  A father's support can take you a long way over life's bumpy path.  A dad's steady uplifting influence helps instill a child with inner strength to deal with the struggles and difficulties being alive brings.
 
(Dad with Marine Corps buddy)
My own father was that kind of dad to me.  He encouraged me greatly by his own personal example and involvement in my life.  His love was sacrificial in many ways.  He has spent many hours fixing my bicycle flat tires or under the hood of my car.  Dad played ball with us kids, took us hiking, taught me in church, showed me how to build with wood and tools, read stories to us at night, and spent plenty of time having good conversations with me.  My dad gave me the strongest sense I have of God as my heavenly Father.  Dad was a competitive weightlifter and very strong.  I vividly remember being on his powerful shoulders while a little girl as he walked out into the rolling waves of the Atlantic Ocean.  I was clutching his forehead in desperation, fearing that I was going to drown.  Dad's strong hands had a hold of my little arms and he spoke very reassuringly, "Don't worry, Bonnie, I've got a hold of you!"  I will never forget that moment.  It was as if God was telling me that.  In a way He was, through my own father.  So many times in life when I have faced an unnerving situation, those words  have come to the foreground of my thoughts to remind me that God has everything in control.     
No matter what kind of father you may have had growing up, there is one Father who has it all together.  His love is unfailing and he never abandons you. I love the story Jesus told about the prodigal son and his father's response upon the son's return.  What does it tell us about our Father God?  Several things:

1.  God yearns and longs for a relationship with us.

2.  God pulls out all the stops when we come to Him.  He is delighted to have friendship with us!  As John 3:16 says, God gave His very own Son to provide a way for us to become His children.

3.  God is tender and compassionate, full of mercy and love.  King David wrote in Psalm 103:13,14:  "The LORD is like a father to His children, tender and compassionate to those who fear Him.  For He knows how weak we are;  He remembers that we are only dust."

If you had a good father to encourage you growing up, give plenty of thanks! But most of all, just know that you have a Heavenly Father who loves you and has given His best through His Son Jesus Christ to enable you to experience that love!
(My dad at Niagara Falls)

Live bravely and beautifully!

No comments:

Post a Comment