Thursday, June 8, 2017

How a Stone Can Affect Your Life

"On the Rocks"
9" x 12"
Oil

Stones are a common occurrence in our daily lives.  We step on them, decorate with them, build with them, carve on them, climb on them, and yes....sometimes we stumble over them. 

Stones have had a powerful effect throughout history. Stones can kill. One process used in killing a person was by a group surrounding a victim and hurling stones at them until they died.  Stones can demolish.   Look at the destruction of a rock slide on a mountain highway.  Stones can be mountains.  They can create obstacles in our path.  
Stones have been used as markers for milestones, for property boundaries, as gravestones, or to commemorate events.  As stepping stones, they have provided thoroughfares.  Architecture has used stones for both foundations and structures.  Artists have used stone in carving monuments, for jewelry, or for sculpture.  Stones have even been used in worship.

 Here's a powerful quote that captures two basic choices we can take in dealing with the stones in our lives: 

"The difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how you use them."

A lot depends on your perspective and choice in dealing with stones.  You can allow them to have a destructive influence in your life and derail flourishing, or you can choose to use the very same stone to result in moving forward and gaining growth in your life.  I value this quote by Brendan Case to that effect:

"The challenges that lie in our path do not only block our way;
by resisting us,
they give us the traction we need 
to move forward."

Some final but important thoughts about stones or rocks in our lives:  

1. God wants to be your Rock!  King David wrote in Psalm 62:1,2,6,7: 

"I wait quietly before God,
for my victory comes from Him.

He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress where I will never be shaken...

Let all that I am wait quietly before God, 
for my hope is in Him.

He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress where I will not be shaken.

My victory and honor come from God alone.
He is my refuge, a rock
where no enemy can reach me.

    God wants to be the anchor for your soul and your place of safety in this life.

2.  Jesus Christ wants to be the Cornerstone on which you build your life!  The        Apostle Peter wrote this about Christ in 1 Peter 2:6:

"As the Scriptures say,
'I am placing a cornerstone in Jerusalem,
chosen for great honor,
and anyone who trusts in Him
will never be disgraced.' "

     What you choose to do with this Stone, Jesus Christ, will affect your life              forever!

Live bravely and beautifully!







No comments:

Post a Comment