Thursday, December 4, 2014

Tis The Season!


 Listen!  Can you hear the beautiful Christmas music streaming from the Internet here in my studio?  What joy to stand at my easel and work on this horse drawing with such great music in the background!  I experience a stillness and quiet reflection on the meaning of Christ's birth...for my own life and for the world. 

As you can see, the next drawing is on the easel now that "Bambi and Wiggles" are in the wings (er, other stable) waiting for the framer to call for pickup.  
 What are these guys and gals doing?  For your answer, take a look at Isaiah 55:1 and you will get a clue.  In fact, there is one word in that verse that will be the title for this drawing. There is a huge metaphor in this artwork for us to think about.  More on that when this drawing is finished.  Working on this piece has been a challenge.  Somehow it has not gotten off to as good a start as the "Bambi and Wiggles" drawing.  But with prayer for God's help and by just showing up to the easel day by day, chipping away at it, it is beginning to take shape.  Many more miles of trail to ride on this one!  I think often of that verse in Proverbs 21:5..."Little by little the diligent make it happen." 


From where I stand at my easel I can keep my eyes on what is happening in the world of nature.  Lately this little squirrel has been trying to quench his thirst at my frozen birdbath. He gnaws away at the ice with his teeth.  It takes about 10 minutes for him to accomplish his goal.

Recently, I've been "treating" myself to the study of this world famous nature artist Rien Poortvliet.  As you can gather, he isn't Japanese!  Rien was from the Netherlands and drew marvelously about the world of nature, life, and animals.  I love studying his sketches and reading his comments!

Many of you have probably been taking part in some of the glorious music centered around Christmas through concerts at church or school.  I enjoy sketching often while taking in the occasion.  It helps deepen the meaning of the beauty I hear.  Here's a few for you to enjoy:





 Time to get to the easel!  Hope you are experiencing the peace, joy, and love of Christmas!

(This is my older brother Gordon and me enjoying a moment of Christmas circa 1958.)

Be brave and courageous!

No comments:

Post a Comment