Friday, May 30, 2014

The Boring Parts

How do you deal with tedious tasks?  Do you try to avoid them?  Procrastinate until you have to do them?  Unfortunately life is not a steady stream of fun and frivolity. We have to be responsible and diligent to do what needs to be done.  That doesn't rank high often on the pleasure scale, but reality presents us often with chores that need attention or our quality of life diminishes.  These are the boring parts!  So how can one successfully manage them?  As the NIKE ad says...JUST DO IT!  But having a game plan or energetic attitude by focusing on the desirable end results helps greatly in the DOING of it.  In this new drawing I've had a tedious area to push through.  The lettering part wasn't exactly turning my crank, but it needed to be done before I got into the action part where things are happening.  Now I can get on to sketching the story part of this work.  The title to this piece is probably going to be "A Contest of Wills" if that helps to build your curiousity. 

One point I'd like to underscore, though, is that without the tedious work on the lettering, the entire artwork would be lacking in the overall effect.  The boring part is integral to telling the whole story in this drawing.  Keep that in mind with life, as well!

Last weekend my twin nieces graduated from high school with the reception in the backyard. To add to the festive occasion, I drew a 4' x 5' chalk drawing on the basketball court of Madeleine and Megan when they were little girls who loved to sing.  Some of you already saw this post on my Facebook page, but I am running it through again via my blog for others to see as well.  It brought back memories of my last 3 years of participating in the Denver Chalk Art Festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment